McGee Tract Free Box. In my youth, living in San Francisco, I was lucky to meet the amazing accordionist Jeanette Lewicki who was affiliated with the Cauliflower Collective who were associated with the diggers, with a philosophy based on “free.” Everything free if possible. Jeanie worked to make free dinners every week open to anyone. It was called the No Penny Opera and I wanted to be part of it. I hung around their printshop hoping to help out and gave out free groceries to residents in the Mission. Every month for the past fifty years the Cauliflower Commune has distributed a list of where to get free food in San Francisco. The men with beards there inspired me to make free art and host my own free dinners. When I saw a house in the McGee tract in Berkeley right near a neighborhood free box, I knew I needed to live there.
- usesforboys reblogged this from miriamkleinstahl
- phalangesx5x reblogged this from miriamkleinstahl and added:
- mysticbones reblogged this from miriamkleinstahl
- dreamofthingsthathavenotbeen reblogged this from miriamkleinstahl
- miriamkleinstahl posted this